Make the most of pear season and make this chicken and pear skillet. Juicy chicken thighs with a slightly sweet hint of pears is the perfect dinner recipe!
What you’ll need:
Large cast iron skillet
How To Make Chicken and Pear Skillet
PREP: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Start by prepping the ingredients. Cut pears and yellow onions into thin slices.
SEASON: Season chicken with salt and pepper.
SEAR: Add olive oil to the large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken thigh and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet.
SAUTEE: Add slices pears and onions. Cook for 3 minutes and then add garlic. Continue to stir/sauté for 2 minutes. Next add broth and bring to simmer.
ROAST: Transfer skillet to the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until chicken thigh reach 165 degrees F. Remove from oven and squeeze lemon juice on top.
Tips for the Best Chicken and Pear Skillet
There’s really no preference on the variety of pear to use for this dish. I’ve tried this recipe with Anjou and Bartlett pears and have loved them both!
Other Seasonal Recipes!
Oven Roasted Tomato Spinach Pasta
Grilled Eggplant with Blackberry Balsamic Reduction
Chicken and Pear Skillet
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Cutting Board
- Large Knife
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs bone in, with skin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pears sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. As the oil heats, season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken thighs to the skillet and sear for 5 minutes per side. They will be lightly browned at this point but not cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a platter and set aside.
- Add the sliced pears and onion to the skillet. Cook while stirring for 5 minutes. Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes. Deglaze with the chicken or vegetable broth. Toss in the lemon zest as well.
- Scrape any fond collected at the bottom and bring the broth to a gentle simmer. Return the chicken to the skillet then place into the oven to roast for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches a safe 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with lemon juice. Plate and serve alone or with one of your favorite side dishes.