Cherry Tomatoes are popping up at my local market. It’s not just red ones. Im seeing orange cherry tomatoes as well. What better way to use a batch of tomatoes than to make this Oven roasted Spinach and Tomato Pasta.
It’s been raining a lot here in the DMV area lately. A few of my last trips to the market have been met with rain. I don’t mind the weather but I’d had to carry the umbrella with me a lot more to stay dry (especially with my camera).
In the middle of summer I found myself visiting markets I usually do not go to. It was nice to explore other parts of DC again. That’s what I like about the DMV. There are so many markets to chose from. If I am running errands in other parts of town I love to drop by the farmers market while I’m in the area.
What you’ll need
How to make Oven Roasted Spinach and Tomato Pasta
Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. To cut back on the mess and cleaning up afterwards I use a parchments paper to line the baking sheet. Spread the cherry tomatoes the baking sheet and drizzle half of the oil on the cherry tomatoes. Also sprinkle on some salt and pepper for flavor. Use your clean hands to even coat the tomatoes and arrange in single layer.
Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and roast for 15 minutes. While the cherry tomatoes roast lets prepare the pasta.
Add water to medium sized pot and bring to a boil. Add alt to water once it starts boiling and drop in the pasta. Cook the pasta for 6-7 minutes or until al dente.
In a separate medium sized skillet place over medium heat. Add the remaining oil to the hot skillet. Transfer the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until soft and fragrant (1-3 minutes).
Once the pasta is done, drain the excess water and add the pasta to the skillet with the onions and garlic. Then add the roasted cherry tomatoes to the skillet as well.
Toss everything to evenly combine. Finish the dish by topping with freshly grated parmesan cheese and a little extra olive oil if desired and enjoy!
Other Seasonal Recipes!
Oven Roasted Tomato and Spinach Pasta
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 oz. dry whole-grain spaghetti
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the cherry tomatoes to the baking sheet. Arrange in an even layer.
- Drizzle with half the oil and generously season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Generously salt the water once boiling then drop in the pasta.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes or until al dente.
- As the pasta is cooking, add the remaining tablespoon of oil to a medium skillet and heat over medium.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until softened and fragrant.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet with sautéed onion and garlic.
- Add the roasted tomatoes followed by the spinach. Toss.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Toss again
- Finish with grated parmesan, if desired and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Plate and serve.